It happens to everyone from time to time that your mouth smells bad, but this is a common problem that affects about 1 in 4 people. And the constant smell of bad breath is an embarrassing thing that makes a person feel shy, confused and embarrassed.
It is easy to notice bad breath in others, but it is difficult for the owner of the smell himself to feel it. Therefore, if a person thinks that their mouth smells bad, they can do a simple test to make sure, they can lick the inner side of their wrist and then smell it. If the smell is bad, that confirms the bad smell of itself as well. Or he could ask someone he trusted to smell himself. It is wrong for him to feel offended if he tells him there is a problem, and wouldn’t it be better for him to know?
Generally, bad breath (also called vaping) is not a serious condition. In most cases it is caused by:
Poor dental hygiene, as food remains stuck between the teeth and on the tongue rot, and thus an unwanted odor can sometimes be emitted.
Some types of food, such as: garlic, onions, some milk products (such as cheese), coffee, in addition to smoking and some medicines, can cause bad breath for a short time.
The accumulation of food debris and rotten food on the surface of the tonsils is known as tonsil stones, which is another source of bad breath.
Bad breath can arise as a result of some medical conditions, such as dry mouth, diabetes, gastritis, throat, nose or lung infections, as well as kidney and liver problems.
Here are some tips for maintaining a fresh breath:
• Brushing the teeth twice a day, using fluoride toothpaste. Also, proper and regular brushing of the teeth is important in maintaining fresh breath.
• Tongue cleaning or scraping. There is a soft rubber piece called a tongue scraper that can remove germs at the back of the tongue, which may not be cleaned with a toothbrush normally.
• Flossing the teeth. Brushing the teeth cleans approximately 60% of the tooth surfaces. However, flossing can remove food debris between the teeth that can rot and smell bad. There is also another product that can be used to clean the residue between the teeth and is the interdental toothbrush.
• The use of antibacterial mouthwashes. The best time to use mouthwashes is just before bed. There are many types of mouthwashes, and most are alcohol-based. But alcohol can dry or irritate the mouth, and thus may cause some problems for the user, in which case it can be replaced by another alcohol-free rinse that contains chlorhexidine or oxygenated water.
• Using sugar-free gum, as chewing stimulates the secretion of saliva and prevents dry mouth. Dry mouth can cause a foul odor. But chewing gum cannot be considered a substitute for dental care. Teeth should be cleaned well, even with chewing gum.
• Having a check-up at the dentist at least once a year, as this is a good opportunity to do a good dental cleaning and review oral hygiene practices. At that, a sure answer can be obtained about the presence of an unpleasant odor in the breath.
• Stop smoking, if that person smokes, it is more likely that a person’s breath will smell like putrid smoke. Cigarette smoking also increases the risk of gum disease, which is another cause of bad breath.